Tuesday 20 March 2012

The operation

When I was brought to the hospital, I was shifted to the ICU. Then they gave me some drug to stop the pain. I was asleep and they performed many tests on me during that. They took many blood samples, they performed my Doppler Test and may more that I dont even know about. After all the tests were performed and after Operation Theater was ready, they took me there. I was given Anesthesia and procedures started.


When they were taking me out of ICU, I could see a lot of people. My parents, my friends, my sister and her friends and even my father's friends. Some faces I could recognize and some I couldn't. (I thought 'Great, I have not lost my memory'). Then when they took me to other floor for operation, again I could see the same people. I thought my mind was playing games but later on I came to know that they had used stairs.

I was brought crushed and all my skin from thigh till ankle was gone. All blood vessels, muscles, bones etc. was crushed and mangled. The Doctors knew that I will have to be amputated to save my life but as I was young and a girl(that is how they told), they wanted to take their chances. They first removed the pea-sized clot(which was later shown to my parents) from my artery. They performed many emergency procedures like Embolectomy, recanalisation, etc.  They fixed my femur, Tibia , Fibula and patella (which was crushed). They fixed an external rod by drilling into my bones. They gave me a central line on my neck.  Performed debridement i.e. removed dead skin and then stabalized my knee.

This operation was unsuccessful and still even after removing clot, blood was not flowing in my leg. Thus, they required another operation. They took an hour break to plan it. That day the doctors did not have their dinner. My life was saved now their priority was to save my leg.


During one of the procedure I had woken up and I started asking for water. I was thirsty and I pleaded  for water.  The nurse told me that I was under Anesthesia and drinking water would make me vomit on the operation table. I told I would control my vomit and I wouldn't  let the table soiled. Then a nurse told me to open my mouth, I opened as wide as I could.  My plan was to drink as much water in one go as I could. She gave me two drops. Can you believe just two drops? That much quantity just made my lips wet and was absorbed by my tongue. Nothing went ahead in my throat. I asked for more. NO was their answer. 

They started my another operation after thorough planning. They again did Embolectomy, Exploration of  popliteal artery  and placed two grafts. One above knee and one below knee. This operation was a success as they could see blood flowing below knee during the operation. So then they stopped further procedures and waited that blood would flow normally.


Doctors told my parents that I had lost a lot of blood and that I was shivering during last hour as my body was exhausted.  I had my leg fixed and they transferred me to ICU. There I would wake up and see the miracle. see that my leg was still there with me.


That day nobody had slept except for me. not  my parents, not my friends not my doctors. They all were praying for me, for miracle to happen. My operation started at around 5pm and ended at around 6am with one break in between for one hour to plan. I lay unconscious the whole time and had one great sleep.


That day a team of Orthopedic docs, team of cardiologist, a team of neurosurgeons and a team of Plastic surgeons along with an anesthesiologist were working in unison to mend my broken leg. They did their job in the best possible way. They must have gone home and taken a day off later thinking that they had performed a complicated operation. 


In the morning when I got up, I saw my leg till toe. I was very happy and thanked all the doctors. I would smile at everyone who would visit me and talk as if I was the healthiest in the room. My life was saved and even after an accident, I had my leg attached. I thought, I would take some time but would be on my legs soon.

3 comments:

  1. is this a true story? if so...i am speechless, you have been through a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah its a true one. Thanks for reading my blog.

      Delete
  2. hi, i m ur new follower nd my name is jatin.i read ur story in fb in the logical story.
    you are a brave girl and people like us learn from you to live a encourage and joyfull life.you making country more pride with ur sport.and no words more only hats off for you.bye manasi.

    ReplyDelete