Friday 16 March 2012

The Operation(My side of the story)

When I was brought in the hospital,  I was shifted to the ICU. I don't remember what happened after that. I guess I had fallen asleep. When I was in my senses, I opened my eyes, I was in the Operation Theater and a doctor told that he was giving me anesthesia and I should not control myself. I must fall asleep as soon as he gives me the drug. I remember saying something to him but I don't remember what I told him.

When I opened my eyes, I was still in a room. I could see the huge room with white walls, glassed shelves which holds all the instruments and a stream of light falling directly into my eyes. I could see three flat screens of around 21 inches joined adjacent to each other like the three mirrors of an antique dressing table and mounted on a pipe and someone was staring at random images in it. He was masked and his head was covered. He wore a blue robe and then I realized that I was still in the Operation Theater. When I lifted my hand, I could see lumps of blood dripping from a wound. I got scared and kept my hand on operation table as it was before. I had no idea why there was blood there. Because previously, I had no wound on my hand, just broken bones.

I was utterly confused. Nobody had noticed that I was conscious. So I said 'Doctor' in a faint voice. Someone heard it and came near my  face. He introduced himself to me and so did some others. I dont remember any of their names. The doctor sitting and staring the screen was least interested in knowing what was going on at the table. He just kept staring and changing the views. 

I asked the people around me that what was going. They told me there was nothing to worry, I was getting well. They informed me that my Angioplasty was taking place. Suddenly I felt something very hot flowing in both my lower limbs. It was very hot and it felt like a snake crawling inside me. I asked them about it and they told me that it was a normal procedure which removes blockages in blood vessels. The looked at each other and then explained me the whole procedure. (Why were they explaining me the procedure  to me, I knew it. I wanted to know why were they doing it on me?)

They told me that there was blockage in my arteries that supplies blood below the knee. That they had removed the clot but still my arteries had contracted thus not allowing normal blood flow in my leg. They convinced me that it was a normal procedure and would be finished in minutes. 

But the doctor who stared at the screen had not spoken to me. He was a very serious man. Then I closed my eyes and tried to sleep. Then again that hot liquid started flowing inside me. I could feel it in my right leg till my toe but i could not feel anything below my thigh in my left leg. I told the masked people around me that. Then they asked me about my accident to divert my attention and I told them the whole story in a very cute voice. I felt that I had the cutest and the sweetest voice.(That was still the anesthesia speaking). 

I felt that people are so nice inside Operation Theater. I just saw their eyes, but I knew that they were the most beautiful people there. They heard my stories like children. And then later on two of them found me and came to meet me when I was in the General ward. They told me that I was one of the bravest girl they had seen in their life in Operation Theater. I feel very nice when someone says that to me. 

2 comments:

  1. not just in the OT...u r one of the bravest in my life till date.
    some of your thoughts... are just plain funny... but the situation in which u had those makes the whole thing very unique.

    ReplyDelete